Monday, December 29, 2008

2008 Version of Q&A From Sundry

Linda posted these questions again. I had to look at the old blog because surely I did this last year and yes indeedy there they were, the answers to the questions from 2007 for 2008. I had to re-read the answers to questions because I could barely remember answering them. Which was kind of cathartic and oddly "entertaining" - really only entertaining to me because really how people read this blog (or the old one) like three??? Oy.

So here ya go. 2008 in retrospect, 2009 to come:

1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
Became a mother of two little rug rats (hard to beat that one really!)

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I did not make any last year. I just felt like being pregnant and all that goes along with that why add undue pressure. I guess I resolved to survive it all and I did so I WIN! Na-na-na-na.

I am actually going to make real live goals this year and try to stick to them. Novel fucking idea, eh?!

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Me! Kelly! Jen (from Detroit!)!

4. Did anyone close to you die?
Not a soul.

5. What countries did you visit?
Just like every year Canada and really does it count? I mean it is like the US but with better accents!

6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
A consistent year at work. Less stress (as always). More time for friends and family. A better balance of time between Matthew and Marisa (obviously Marisa being a newborn sort of won out on the balance thing but this year better!)

7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
August 2, 2008 1:14am
Marisa Kaela came into our world and the world is better for it!

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Marisa and Matthew are my biggest achievements. 'Nuff said.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Being a small and petty person about things that I cannot talk about here (work related) but know I was small and petty and I am working on being a bigger less petty person as I type!

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Does having a baby without any drugs count? Then yes. If not, no.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
A trip to Disney (for this year and next year!)

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Holy crap, Britney fucking Spears. I mean for real y'all the girl kept her panties on, LIKE ALL YEAR. Oh seriously a bunch of my co-workers because they rock (there is a whole story behind this but again too long to get into here. Just trust me they all rock and I would say their behavior merits a big ole shaker!)

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
George W.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Online shopping - fucking Amazon (and damn those people who decided to get rid of Eddie Bauer in our local mall.) Besides, that paying off our mortage and putting money into the kid's education fund (and giving up most of our 401k to freaking Wall Street weeeeeeeeeeee)

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Ummm my baby!!!!

16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
I'm Yours (Jason Mraz)

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? I am happy (not happier, not sadder just plain old happy!)
b) thinner or fatter? FATTER
c) richer or poorer? Richer in many many ways!

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Again with the exercise. Fuckity fuck.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Eating junk food (stupid holiday fudge/cookies/bread)

20. How did you spend Christmas?
Sleep, open presents, eat, rest, eat, cook, play, eat, rest, play, sleep (all in the comfort of my own warm little home!)

21. Did you fall in love in 2008?
Same as last year - over and over and over again with Kevin, Matthew and Marisa (even if you can believe it Santana and Lucy. No really I did. My puppies they are getting old all of a sudden and I cannot stop it from happening and it made me sad but then I remembered how much I fell in love with each of them and it made me fall in love with them all over again!)

22. What was your favorite TV program?
How I Met Your Mother

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I do not think so...

24. What was the best book you read?
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (read this if you have not. It is SO SO SO wonderful.)

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
These were discoveries to me but Modest Mouse, Steel Pulse, Feist, and The Slip.

26. What did you want and get?
Marisa :)

27. What did you want and not get?
A hot body? I do not know. Many things. A cleaner earth, to see Dave live again, world peace, Kevin's mother to get healthy... just many things.

28. What was your favorite film of this year?
Chronicles of Narnia (what? I love that book and I loved watching the movie too. Shut it.)

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
35. I got my teeth cleaned and went to work. Seriously I did nothing on my 35th birthday.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
I do not think there is anything that would have made it any more satisfying that it was. I had a beautiful, healthy baby - what more could I ask for?!

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
Maternity wear (Bigger is Better!); Then suck it up, you are going to be a size 10 for a while.

32. What kept you sane?
Reading, writing, TV, music/NPR, work (co-workers)

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Poltical: Hillary and Obama; Other: Michael Phelps

34. What political issue stirred you the most?
The election and while not entirely POLITICAL it is tied to politics, the stock market (or paying for fat execs who fucked up)

35. Who did you miss?
Zach, Ric, My Granny, my mom and my girlfriends.

36. Who was the best new person you met?
I have one word: FACEBOOK. All of the people I have met are people I knew in my past life when I was like 10 or 14 or 18 or 21 but I am SO glad to have reconnected. It is like going to the best reunion EVER!!!

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
Crap which one do I choose... I am mighty, I am a force to be reckoned with, I am tragically inept socially at times, I am fierce, I am filled with laughter and light, I can be both best and worst mother in any given hour of the day, I am intending more and trying to whine less, I am happy to be alive, healthy and grateful.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
open up your plans and damn you're free
look into your heart and you'll find love love love love
listen to the music of the moment people dance and sing
We're just one big family

Beyond these questions I have to say that I am looking forward to 2009. I feel so filled up right now with excitement for 2009. Silly things that I am thrilled about (A new Dave Matthews album! A new U2 Album! A trip to Disney! Seattle! Canada in the summer!) and big things like a full year of work without being pregnant or being out on maternity leave, watching the kids grow up (Matthew will be FOUR!) and getting fit.

I am thrilled that in the past two days I have found two old friends one from high school, Shin-Roo, whom I have missed for years and cannot believe I have found her. She was a confidant all through high school even though we lived terribly different lives. And my college roommate, Jessica - an unexpected friend, we were Thing 1 and Thing 2 causing trouble and getting into trouble, being silly and crazy and oh how I missed her after we parted ways. I wanted to tell her how right she was about something for 12 years and now I can. That makes me unexpectedly happy. It makes me happy to able to catch up with all these old friends from grade school and high school and swimming and a world I left behind thinking it all sucked but now at 35 I can see it wasn't so bad. In fact, it was pretty fucking cool and that there was no need to be ashamed of it.

So I am glad for 2009 to come, to see what it brings and how it plays out. I keep wondering if that is what getting older is all about. The letting go of old unnecessary feelings and enjoying the glow of good things, happy things. Plucking the best moments out of the bad ones and seeing how good life was, is. I am just plain happy.
Post a Comment