Friday, August 28, 2009

Moderate Randomness

First and foremost, and this is important for you know gift giving purposes this year for your friends and loved ones. For a limited time only the United States Postal Service is offering FREAKING Simpson stamps. Oh. MA. GAWD! Maggie's stamp is my fav. I want to buy some to put in each of the kid's keep sake boxes. HA.
***
Next week, and I have to say I am gushingly excited about this more so then I ever in all my life thought I would be, we get to attend our first OPEN HOUSE at Matthew's school to see what life is like in Pre-K for him. He cannot stop talking about this event so I hope it lives up to all of our expectations!
***
I am very much looking forward to seeing my family next week but I am not so excited about traveling with two kids, on a plane. The last few trips with Marisa were hell. She was moving, a lot and had no desire to sit still and she was sick and I wanted to gouge my eyes out both ways each time we travelled. I know once we get there and back it will be all good. It is the getting there/back that may kill me. I may need to invest in some of those little bottles of vodka to get me through! (I KID, people I KID!)
***
I lifted weights last night. AND did sit-ups. The end.
***
Have I ever told you (and you and you) that my favorite comic strip is Rose is Rose? I read it every day online because (a) it is not in our local rag and (b) it is free (please stay free, please stay free). Anyway, if you are looking for a sweet comic that offers a happy good vibe every morning, check it out!
***
We were watching House Hunters last night. First of all, I have drastically cut back on tv. Little by little, I have been giving up on it but I still allow myself the luxury to watch some TV in the evenings after I finished cleaning up, running, and perhaps after having read a book/mag/newspaper or completed some part of a project. I know Fall shows will be starting next month but I am actually planning to carry this one through the fall. TV is a bit of an addiction since having kids along with eating like crap. It is my time waster and I use it as a reward. Generally it happens like this: I sidle up to the couch, plop down and plow through a gallon of ice cream while watching the latest Housewives show. So there is that.

But really more to point on House Hunters the lady was moving from Sacramento to Los Angeles. They showed a scene of the traffic in LA and it was reminder of what I most hated about San Jose/San Francisco. TRAFFIC. Gawd, what a time waster. I am so grateful for where I live and its distinct lack of traffic issues. Though I will not stop bitching and moaning about "the trafffic" when the students come back to town because dude that is pain in the rump. But it sure beats coasting down Highway 17 doing 11 miles per hour on a 100+ degree day and getting 1 mile in 30 minutes!
***
We are getting close to having the basement room completed. It basically has to be three rooms in one (workout space, office space and spare bedroom space). A few times prior to starting on the room I though 'hmm more room would be great, bigger house, blah blah...' Then I verbally bitch slapped myself.

We have a house that is close to 3,000 sq ft. My grandmother raised three boys in a house that was about 900 sq feet. On Long Island. And my Oma raised three girls in a tiny apartment (maybe 600 sq ft?) in the middle of the Hague during World War II and its aftermath. Those six children played outside, A LOT. That is to say a family of four and a family of five respectively lived in the space that my car occupies out in the garage. SO boo hoo on me!

Perspective helps me. We really only have a few guests per year and we use the workout space more in the winter then the spring/summer/fall months. And we use the laptop upstairs in our room/living room most of all. We have no plans for extra kids. I do not have dinner parties... well only ones that involve a plastic picnic table and paper napkins. I like my house and its size. In fact, I find our house to be a bit on the large size. I do not need more crap and in fact I am on a kick to stop being a crazy rampant consumer who spends willy nilly just to spend as well as getting rid of stuff. Oy the stuff!

I digress. I thought this room was going to be hell to pull together but it is turning out spectacularly! Kevin put in a closet system and we bought a computer armoire from Ikea a couple of months back. I am planning to get a storage "bin" for wrapping paper to put under the bed and I want to find some fun cool looking low bookshelves and voila the space has been transformed without feeling like too much. It is neat and organized and I got rid of a crap load of "stuff" again! Also, we may finally hang pictures up there, two years after moving in!!!
***

I am looking forward to the weekend! I hope everyone else has a great weekend as well!
Post a Comment