Monday, March 14, 2011

Shaken

I am looking at my chubby cheeked copper haired little girl who is sleeping safely beside me quietly in our bed.  I am in my bed.  I am in my own home.  In our town that still exists just like it did yesterday and continue to do tomorrow.

With each passing earthquake growing increasing larger and wider and more intense in their scope, I sit and watch from my seemingly safe little world here.  Yet my heart goes out to these people.

We read a story about a woman who said she was running and holding her little daughter's hand.  They were running from the Tsunami,  As the Tsunami hit, she said they were running and one moment she was holding her little daughter's hand and the next moment she was holding nothing.  She was searching for her little daughter who had not been found since she slipped out of her mother's hand.

A whole town is gone.  10,000 people unaccounted for in one place.  Let us compound this situation by the fact that it is currently winter in Japan.  It is cold there.  Can you imagine your home is gone, your town, your family, you have the clothing on your back and it is freezing cold, your world is in chaos, destroyed, nuclear emergency warnings and you are scared out of your mind.

I am the daughter of Engineer who made a living developing Nuclear reactors.  Later in his career, he was the guy they called in to shut those fuckers down because seemingly every one of those reactors had massive issues.  The last job he did was to control plumes that were moving toward a major river from "improperly contained" nuclear waste.  I have a good basic working knowledge of Nuclear Energy and nuclear reactors and it is scary shit.  I have never been to Japan but I have always wanted to go.  My project A report in AP History in high school was on the creation of the nuclear bombs that were later dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. It is what launched my deep interest in World War II in my late teens and early twenties.  The reason I wanted to become a History major (which my Nuclear Engineer father talked me out of, oh the irony!)

I am scared.  This is scary.  Even though we live a world away from Japan/Chile/New Zealand/Haiti/China, these earthquakes bring me back to earthquakes past.  Until you are in one, you have no idea.  It is unimaginable.  The '89 earthquake lasted about 30 seconds.  This monster was a full TWO minutes plus with after shocks as large as the earthquake in '89.  The biggest aftershocks in the '89 quake were no bigger then 5.0.  I know but I do not know what they are going through.  Every story coming out of Japan makes my eyes well up.  I fight internally with what I know these people are going through only a 100 million times worse than what I experienced.

9.0 magnitude.  It was the 4th largest earthquake in the history of the world.  The day that it happened was shortened because of this latest earthquake.  The axis of the earth moved.  We have no idea what additional changes these earthquakes are doing to this world, I am sure we will see the changes in the near future.

I cannot imagine the terror.  I cannot imagine holding her hand trying to save her and then having her just simply disappear into a wall of water.

I worry about my friends and family in California. 

Tomorrow we are planning to give money to a couple of organizations that can provide assistance to the people of Japan. There are dozens out there, please think about giving as much as you can to help too.  This is not the first time we have done this and I know it will not be the last.

I can only pray and hope for the people of Japan and New Zealand and Haiti and Chile and China (I may be leaving some others out...) I can only give money to people and organizations who can help in these places, long after we have forgotten about them.  Please do not forget and keep giving and keep praying.
Post a Comment