Friday, January 4, 2013

2012 Redux

Below are the symptoms I have had for over 18 months now.  These are the vast majority of symptoms for Celiac Disease.
  • Abdominal cramping, intestinal gas
  • Distention and bloating of the stomach
  • Chronic diarrhea or constipation (or both)
  • Anemia – unexplained, due to folic acid, B12 or iron deficiency (or all)
  • Unexplained weight loss with large appetite or weight gain
  • Dental enamel defects
  • Bone or joint pain
  • Fatigue, weakness and lack of energy
  • Depression
  • Mouth ulcers
  • Tingling or numbness in hands or feet
  • Migraine headaches

  • Celiac Disease can appear at any time in a person’s life. In adults, the disease can be triggered for the first time after surgery, viral infection, severe emotional stress, pregnancy or childbirth.

    When I was preggers with Missy, I had the worst bout of heartburn for several weeks before I finally got some medicine for it.  I kept thinking it would go away during those few weeks but it did not until I took medicine. 

    I have been a chronic Tums habit since I can remember. 

    I have always felt bloated and "fat".  Eating "issues" are not new for me.  In grad school, I started taking diuretics.  A lot of them.

    I have lost so much hair I am surprised I still have hair on my head!  Crazy.

    After Missy was born and I was overweight and out of shape I just assumed I felt bad because I was overweight and out of shape.

    I have abused my body for many years eating poorly, drinking too much, and either over exercising (four hours a day!) or allowing myself to get heavier by overeating unhealthy foods.

    The fall of 2011 I got so sick for months and months with multiple viruses. One of which got me so sick I passed out in the shower.

    The year before that in 2010 I had such had inflammation in my joints (hips and wrists) I thought I had arthritis. Prior to that I had a neck issues that took me years to resolve and I could barely exercise without it hurting.

    I have had migraines, or as I have referred to them over the years, snarly headaches forever.

    I have suffered from depression from my teen years on.

    I have more cavities then I have teeth... oh ho ho.  I mean seriously. I am set right not to spend $3k on my teeth and that is just the right side of my mouth. I have a feeling when it is all said and done I will have spend well into the $6k range.

    I have worked for a very difficult person in the most heinous job.  I have done it because of the money for almost a decade and I feel like I am now paying the price for that.

    I feel like the past year and a half at my job I have suffered intense emotional stress. I have had massive panic attacks and intense depression that I mostly had under control until things started to change at my job.  I think that if I were to pin point a severe emotional stress it would be how much I have suffered through my work.  I doubt it is worth my health any more.  I am terrified right now.  I am terrified that forever I will have to change my diet because of this.  I am terrified of all the bad things that could be happening inside me to make me feel so sickly all of the time.  I just want to feel better.  I am trying to hang on to things.  Like I am seeing the GI doc in four days.  Like I have the root canal in one month.  Like I went to the grocery today and bought a pile of items to assist with starting the process of changing my diet over from whatever it is now to something "better". 

    And I probably need to find a new job... Oh 2013 you are not starting out as I had hoped. 
    Post a Comment