Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Planning purposes


My right foot is still basically a mess. I limp all over and it is work when I have to be on feet a lot or after a night of rest.  I have not really kept on any measures to stop this nor have I made an appointment to see Dr. Mandy the sport chiropractor that has been helpful in the past.  I would like to see her but I have been doing acupuncture for the stomach and back/neck issues so I feel like I have to do one or the other and not both. I do ice and stretch if my foot is feeling particularly bad.  

The main thing I have done is cut back on running in a huge way.  I basically have been running three-five miles at a time generally allowing how my foot is feeling to guide me (slower if it hurts, faster/stronger if it is feeling good) and doing 2-3 days of cross training (recumbent bike and/or elliptical and weights/sit-ups/jumping jacks/Pilates/yoga stuff.  I was going to try to reduce my weight by five pounds and K and I were supposed to go on a diet together but it seems like stress and travels and house updates have taken the place of that.  I am hoping that we will get back to it after our upcoming trip. I would like to get a little lighter finally and lose that last five pounds.

I am signed up to run the Blue at the Crossroad Half Marathon in Terre Haute on September 14th. I am not sure how it will go and I have low expectations.  The plan is to have fun, enjoy myself and not care about the time or place or anything.  I am excited to run a half like that… if I can!  My original goal for 2013 had been to run four half’s but I have essentially resigned myself to three at this point.  I guess if I am doing a 12 week training plan, I started it already?!  Oh ha ha ha ha… I mean seriously I have not plan for this half training at this moment and I likely will not have a plan until after this weekend is over so a ten week training plan it is!

I did run the Springville 5k two weeks ago and I had a total blast.  I ran 23:54 or something along that line and I was 2nd in my age group and like the 5th or 6th woman finisher.  It was a smallish race, just over 100 people, but I had a nice time both running it and after. Getting there was a challenge as I got lost in the middle of rural Indiana, good times!

I am likely going to try to run a couple of other 5ks depending on my foot. 

I found a training plan I am excited to try for the Carmel marathon in April 2014. The FIRST program.  It is three days of running mileage with two suggested cross training days which I will stretch in three cross training days. I am looking forward to experimenting with this training plan as I would love to improve my time from the first marathon.  My goal is the same – 3 hours and 50 minutes would FANTASTIC!  4 hours?  I would be super thrilled.  Any PR would be good (that is better than the 4 hours and 20 minutes it took me in Louisville). 


Once sports start up in the fall, it is going to get challenging to schedule runs/races so I am trying to enjoy this quieter time in our lives as best I can both by enjoying time with the kids and not having to run 20 places every night/weekend! 
Post a Comment